Responsibility and Commitment
- The volunteer partner is counting on you…show you care!
- Treat your volunteer experience like a job:
- Be prompt.
- Set up a schedule and stick to it.
- Call ahead if you are unable to attend and arrange to make up missed hours.
- As a volunteer, you are representing yourself, your school, and the West Liberty High School Silver Cord Program. Show your Comet Pride and do a great job!
Proven benefits of volunteering
- Explore majors and careers that interest you.
- Build your resume and gain valuable work experience.
- Learn new skills.
- Improve your chances of getting a job.
- Learn things that will benefit you for the rest of your life.
- Improve your self-esteem and sense of personal satisfaction.
- Contribute to your community.
Expectations and Rights of West Liberty High School volunteers
- Provide the organization with details on their interests, strengths, and area of study, schedules, and availability.
- Behave in a professional manner
- Dress in accordance with the organization’s dress code policy/wear appropriate attire.
- Arrive on time. Provide advance notice if unable to attend.
- Provide quality work.
- Demonstrate respect for all individuals.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Document hours.
- Provide the organization with the verification of service form for review upon completion of volunteer hours.
- Contact the Silver Cord coordinator or WLHS Principal for assistance and/or speak with a supervisor.
A West Liberty Silver Cord student who volunteers for a community organization has the right to…
- Have a clear understanding of the organization where volunteering.
- Be assigned fulfilling work.
- Ask questions if assigned projects are not clear.
- Be respected by everyone in the work setting.
- Be provided with a safe and healthy work environment.
- Develop his/her individual potential.
Expectation of volunteer community partners
- Provide the student with an overview/orientation of your organization (mission, values, programming, etc.) or project
- Introduce the student to others at the volunteer site.
- Provide a safe and positive volunteer opportunity.
- Provide any training necessary to complete the assigned tasks through supervision and support.
- Evaluate the student’s performance and notify the WLHS Principal or designee if the student volunteer or service is not of high quality.
- Thank the student for his/her time and effort.