Weather Alerts Overview
If weather conditions necessitate the delay of starting school or possibly the cancellation of school, parents and students in the West Liberty Community School District should note the following procedures and general information.
- Buses and classes if delayed one hour.
- Buses start on routes between 8:00 – 8:15 a.m.
- If you normally board the bus at 7:45 a.m., you will board about 8:45 a.m.
- Classes start at each building one hour later than normal.
- Breakfast will not be served.
- Buses and classes if delayed two hours.
- Buses start on routes between 9:00 – 9:15 a.m.
- If you normally board the bus at 7:45 a.m., you will board about 9:45 a.m.
- Classes start at each building two hours later than normal.
- Breakfast will not be served.
- If roads conditions are embargoed by Muscatine or Cedar counties on a country road, then hard surface routes will be used for these roads until county approves usage.
- In the event classes are delayed, early-released or school is cancelled, the following T.V. stations will broadcast the information:
TV-CHANNEL 9 KCRG, TV CHANNEL 6 KWQC
- In addition to the above stations, we have a calling system that will send out a phone call to the designated number you chose at registration for your child. Please contact the school if this number has changed.
- In addition, we also have a “Text to Cell” system for delays, early-releases or cancellations. To set up your cell phone to receive these text messages enter on your cellphone: Text to 84483 and then message WLComets.
You will then receive messages as soon as a decision has been made by our superintendent. You may also check the school’s website at www.wl.k12.ia.us for information.
- Our district has a text messaging service that enables us to transmit instant messages to subscribers. This free service by RainedOut fills an important niche in our collection of communication tools: the school district website; the automated calling system; e-mail messages; TV & radio messages; Friday Folders, student announcements, and mailings.
One of the advantages of this tool is that it allows us to reach anyone who chooses to join the network, including relatives, baby sitters, neighbors, community organizations, and others whose contact information is not in our student information system. It also affords us a way to prepare and send messages that will reach recipients in a timely manner, whether or not there might be a power failure in the school district or at the location of any of the recipients.
To join our new text message program, open a new text message on your cell phone, enter “84483” for the phone number, then, in the message area, enter the message “WLComets”.
We will use our text messaging service to communicate school delays and cancellations, as well as other important notices and reminders. We will continue to announce school delays and cancellations through our other channels as well: automated calls to our families & staff; TV & radio; our district website; and e-mail.
- If the need arises, emergency routes will be followed. Emergency routes use blacktop surfaced roads only. When an announcement is made on the television to the affect that school will be open but buses will travel only emergency routes until further notice; that means buses will run on the designated blacktop surfaced roads only throughout the district. Parents are asked to meet the buses on the blacktop roads if possible. Students will be returned from school on the same blacktop roads.
- Other Emergency Route Information:
- If weather conditions worsen during the day so that classes have to be dismissed early, an announcement will be made on the stations, web-site, cell texts and phone message system. When school is dismissed early, buses will run regular routes unless emergency routes have been specified in the announcement. Parents, students, and staff members are to assume that classes will be held unless an announcement is made to the contrary.
- If emergency routes are used in the morning, drivers will follow the same route that afternoon.